Old January 28th 04, 09:14 PM
jotis

Default Best CW rig?

Hello-

After a hiatus of about 25 years or so, I recently got back into ham radio.
I bought an IC 706MkII G rig, an antenna tuner, an audio filter, and an
artificial ground. I quite like the 706, but I have the feeling that it is
just an "OK rig". I mostly operate CW (with only modest success) - very
often, I am unable to pick out stations that seem to be in the mud, even
using my audio filter.

I have the feeling that there are better transceivers out there for CW, and
I don't want to rely upon the word of radio salesmen (whom I believe
generally to be honest guys), and so I am asking people who are experienced
operators for their opinion. (I have spoken to a few of my local friends,
but not many operate CW, so their opinions are suspect).

The write-ups in the adverts make my mouth water (especially the ones for
the Orion and the K2/100), but I have found that in real life a product
NEVER matches the advertising. I am also a bit suspicious after reading the
product reviews in eham.net. I suspect that a lot of the "5/5" type of
review says "Look, I bought it, and therefore it has got to be great".

Now that I have retired and have a few extra bucks available for a rig, I
would welcome any comments that you DX operators would be kind enough to
offer.

Thanks and 73,

Joseph