Old March 23rd 06, 05:15 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Richard Clark

Default Current through coils - BFD

On Thu, 23 Mar 2006 09:57:04 GMT, "David J Windisch"
wrote:

"BFD" ida "Before Final Decision", n'est ce pas?

"Richard Clark" wrote in message
.. .

Well, let's start with Yuri's emphasized and cogent assertion:
"The current in a typical loading coil in the shortened antennas

BIGSNIP of a howler

Hi David,

I would have thought so on its completion. However, the problem of
the poor specification has given rise to the prospects that Yuri's
vertical was never resonated by the loading coil at all. I find it
strange that I had to wade through a ton of verbal chatter to glean
minutiae such as:

"(with hat) and reresonating"

where the coil had been moved throughout the length of the radiator
and the system "reresonated" back in the shack. The long and short of
this was I struggled to make the antenna resonant in the 40M band, and
achieved it with yet another shortfall of specification. The coil
itself was barely mentioned except for its diameter.

Sure, a picture was provided, but those meters that I used to scale it
look very much like 3½" panel mounts and are as wide as the coil. By
using them as a benchmark, I reckoned the coil for being 20" long at 4
turns per inch. Later, when I accepted the "reported" coil diameter
of 2½", I forgot to shorten the coil to 10" and increase the pitch to
6tpi. Needless to say results need to be revisited, but the only
change will be on the wrong side of the decimal point for those
"debating" the matter.

When thread lengths get to be 500+ the participation has long ceased
to be about any technical content.

Like those who argue that POS EZNEC reports erroneous results when
they use it wrong; this is basically the story of the man who went to
the doctor to complain:
"It hurts when I do this!"
Doctor:
"Stop doing that."