Old March 23rd 06, 07:48 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Roger D Johnson

Default Pin-style headphones for S-38

K3HVG wrote:
Do a search on Ebay for "vintage headphones". There are many older
'phones that will do nicely for you. Just try and ensure that they're
functional and that the cotton-covered cords, etc. are not all ratted
out. There are also some imported copies of the old military HS-16 up
for auction from time to time. They work fine and have pin-type plugs
on them. Be careful of them, though. They often go for astronomical
prices due to unknowing persons.

wrote:

I am restoring a Hallicrafter's S-38, and wonder where I might find
the type of headphones that would fit the little double pin inputs on
the back. I have only seen the "jack" style.
Thanks

Many of the older 'phones use a cloth covered "Litz" type wire. This
stuff requires crimp connectors. Trying to convert from one type of
connector to another is a nightmare! Some 1/4 in plugs are designed
to clamp the old pin connectors under screwheads.
Let me restate this a bit better. If you are looking for a set of
phones for the S-38, try to find some with the original pins on the
wires or if they have a phone plug, make sure it's the type that
utilizes the original pin connectors. Stay away from phones where
someone has removed the pins and put on a plug.

73, Roger

--
Remove tilde (~) to reply

Remember the USS Liberty (AGTR-5)