Old January 29th 04, 12:11 AM
Bill Echols

Joseph,

I have two K2 radios. They are the best you can buy. The Orion is pretty
good; but, it is not as good as the Elecraft K2. I sent the Orion back as
did Earl, K6SE.

I am a wireless (RF) engineer by training and vocation; I have one of the
world's best RF labs at my disposal. I have over thirty years experience
in wireless design, development, and implementation. I know what I am
talking about.

Go onto the Elecraft website and sign up to send and receive messages on
the Elecraft reflector. Ask to borrow one of the rigs.

Once contest season is over I might let you borrow one of mine if you pay
the freight both ways. I bet you'll have a new rig by then though.

There are plenty of amateurs who will build it for you if you don't enjoy
construction. Really, though, it is easy to build if you know how to
solder.

Give me a call or email back if you want more details on the K2.

Bill, NI5F

On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 16:14:31 -0500, jotis wrote:

Hello-

After a hiatus of about 25 years or so, I recently got back into ham
radio.
I bought an IC 706MkII G rig, an antenna tuner, an audio filter, and an
artificial ground. I quite like the 706, but I have the feeling that it
is
just an "OK rig". I mostly operate CW (with only modest success) - very
often, I am unable to pick out stations that seem to be in the mud, even
using my audio filter.

I have the feeling that there are better transceivers out there for CW,
and
I don't want to rely upon the word of radio salesmen (whom I believe
generally to be honest guys), and so I am asking people who are
experienced
operators for their opinion. (I have spoken to a few of my local friends,
but not many operate CW, so their opinions are suspect).

The write-ups in the adverts make my mouth water (especially the ones for
the Orion and the K2/100), but I have found that in real life a product
NEVER matches the advertising. I am also a bit suspicious after reading
the
product reviews in eham.net. I suspect that a lot of the "5/5" type of
review says "Look, I bought it, and therefore it has got to be great".

Now that I have retired and have a few extra bucks available for a rig, I
would welcome any comments that you DX operators would be kind enough to
offer.

Thanks and 73,

Joseph