Old March 23rd 06, 09:16 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Chris Suslowicz

Default WANTED: Museum seeks B-17G Flying Fortress radio/radar equipment

In article . net,
"COLIN LAMB" wrote:

I must say that when I ship a piece of WWII gear, I feel guilty packing it.
It was designed to be shot at, go through intense cold and heat and keep
working, and then I ship it off and pack it like it was a treasure. I
really should tape an address label on it and drop it in the box. I doubt
that the post office can do what the Germans and Japanese could not do

I have no doubt whatsoever. I also have a WW2 manual that includes a
section on packaging of equipment for transportation, and they don't doubt
it either:

"...It should be remembered that goods in transit receive very rough
handling, a free drop onto concrete from a height of 4' 6" is not
improbable, and packaging should as far as possible be made to meet
these conditions".

- but I still pack the stuff with care.

As you must.

Chris.
--
If being dropped out of an aircraft into ... a minefield is "moderately
rough handling", what would constitute "rough handling"?

Being shipped UPS.
-- David Richerby and Dave Brown