Old March 23rd 06, 10:43 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Chris Suslowicz

Default Pin-style headphones for S-38

In article ,
K3HVG wrote:

They're right!!! I'm sitting here looking at a Trimm headset with the
frizzy wires and a big old Philmore phone plug... Actually, I have, in
the past, been able to "sort of" tin that type wire.. it burns off the
fabric content part. Only problem, its very delicate after all that. HI!!!

It's called 'Tinselflex' in .UK, I think, and yes: it's loathesome stuff.

I think the original (pre-crimp) termination method was to bind it to
a piece of tinned copper wire for a length of about 3/4", form the
bound-in portion into a loop to fit the screw, then bind the free to
the main part to close the loop and apply an insulating and colour coded
whipping of silk thread to stop it coming undone.

I've been known to roll it in copper foil, ram that into a crimp tah
and then squeeze as hard as possible. It usually works unless you
need a very small tag....

Chris. (At some point I've got to do 4 ends the old-fashioned way, to
repair a WS-18 Morse Key - someone chopped the loops off because they
only needed the key jack and not the Tx/Rx connector. I'm not looking
forward to this.)

--
'Did you know that a cow was *MURDERED* to make that jacket?'
'Yes. I didn't think there were any witnesses,