Old March 24th 06, 12:35 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Brian Denley

Default Keepers: Shortwave Radios That Last

ve3... wrote:
Over the years I have purchased way too many short wave radios, most
of which ended up in the garage. A few I keep at hand for various
needs and I thought my experience might be of interest to those
bitten by the "gotta have it" bug.
PRINCIPLES
1. There is no radio that will do everything you want.
2. You need lots of carefully chosen radios to do different things. (
show this to the wife)
3. There are many ways to sneak a new radio into the house. ("What?
this old thing? Why I have had it for years! Wives are never quite
sure as all radios look the same to them) Avoid the dreaded lament, "
You had lots of money 1982, You went and let that Collins make a fool
of you, Why don't you do right, Like the other men do, Get out of
here and get me some money too! As if I had a money tree out back or
something to fend off the incessant demands for food, rent, heat and
other things irrelevant to SWL. But I digress.

BEST PORTABLE: GRUNDIG S350. Good sensitivity on SW, AM and FM. Clear
tone. Handy size to grab onto and take to the yard or bath. Known as
the "shifty 350" because of its horrible drift on AM and SW.

!!!!!!!

That may be the worst list of radio I have ever seen.

--
Brian Denley