Old March 24th 06, 06:48 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
W. Watson

Default Antenna Phase (Kraus)--Interferometry with Two Antennas

I was browsing through Antennas by Kraus, second ed., looking for something
that might explain how two antennas separated by a distance D would have a
resolution as the same as an antenna of size D, and hit upon some methods
for computing radiation patterns. I'm not all that familiar with the
methodology, but think it might be worthwhile exploring.

I'm not all that knowledgeable about antenna theory, but was stumped by the
introduction of antenna phase. He computes the patterns for several pairs of
isotropic antennas separated by a distance d. There are several cases, which
involve fixed or differences in phase and amplitude he considers, Chap. 4,
sect. 4.2. Can anyone make the idea of phase dependency for an antenna,
particularly an isotropic antenna (or whatever), a little more practical or
real? Early on he talks about the phase delta being a function of (theta,
phi) according to a typical Kraus 3-D view of this material. A nice
abstraction, but I need something a little more concrete*.

Of course, maybe my statement above about D is simpler to *prove* (not hand
wave) than wading through this material.

* I just noticed section 3-17 has some material on phase. Maybe that'll work.

"Nature invented space so that everything didn't
have to happen at Princeton." -- Martin Rees,
Britain's Royal Astronomer, in a lecture at Princeton

Web Page: home.earthlink.net/~mtnviews