Old February 7th 04, 03:14 AM
Fubar

I have been using the Yaesu FT-1 for quite a few years. This was one of the
first super rigs, from Yaesu. I have over 300 CW DX countries logged, most
with this rig. They come up on EBay at times. Mine has the memory module
and the CW filters. For the price as a used rig it would be a great buy.
Art K5FNQ

"jotis" wrote in message
Hello-

After a hiatus of about 25 years or so, I recently got back into ham

radio.
I bought an IC 706MkII G rig, an antenna tuner, an audio filter, and an
artificial ground. I quite like the 706, but I have the feeling that it is
just an "OK rig". I mostly operate CW (with only modest success) - very
often, I am unable to pick out stations that seem to be in the mud, even
using my audio filter.

I have the feeling that there are better transceivers out there for CW,

and
I don't want to rely upon the word of radio salesmen (whom I believe
generally to be honest guys), and so I am asking people who are

experienced
operators for their opinion. (I have spoken to a few of my local friends,
but not many operate CW, so their opinions are suspect).

The write-ups in the adverts make my mouth water (especially the ones for
the Orion and the K2/100), but I have found that in real life a product
NEVER matches the advertising. I am also a bit suspicious after reading

the
product reviews in eham.net. I suspect that a lot of the "5/5" type of
review says "Look, I bought it, and therefore it has got to be great".

Now that I have retired and have a few extra bucks available for a rig, I
would welcome any comments that you DX operators would be kind enough to
offer.

Thanks and 73,

Joseph