Old March 24th 06, 05:17 PM posted to alt.conspiracy.area51,rec.radio.shortwave

Default beacon direction finding

I'm quite sure the null is better than the directional antenna

I have put some thought into the S-meter, i.e. detecting the null. It
would be best to have
a meter on the AGC, but I don't have any radios with such a tap from
the factory. If I use the radio in CW mode, I could measure the AC
audio level, but the null is sharp enough that I trust my ear. That is,
I look at the S-meter, but the audio null is just as good.

I was curious about the effect of the size of the loop, with the
smaller loop being much better.

Lumpy wrote:
wrote:

I've been experimenting with some homebrew direction finding gear,
namely loops and a Wellbrook amp. I have two loops, which for this
discussion will be called large and small...

Any ideas on how to improve the technique would be appreciated...

Loop Yagi (quad). Directors will narrow the pattern width.
Reflector will increase the sensitivity. I'd start with
directors since at 10 miles and at low freqs(?) sensitivity
probably isn't as important as beam width. Get more bang
for the buck with narrow vs gain.

What are you using for the readout of the amplitude
of the signal? Some kind of external meter? Analog or digital?
Audio?

Lumpy
--
You were on CHiPs? Did you wear those sexy
tight pants and high boots like Erik Estrada?