Old March 24th 06, 09:24 PM posted to alt.conspiracy.area51,rec.radio.shortwave
Dale Parfitt

Default beacon direction finding

wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm quite sure the null is better than the directional antenna

I have put some thought into the S-meter, i.e. detecting the null. It
would be best to have
a meter on the AGC, but I don't have any radios with such a tap from
the factory. If I use the radio in CW mode, I could measure the AC
audio level, but the null is sharp enough that I trust my ear. That is,
I look at the S-meter, but the audio null is just as good.

I was curious about the effect of the size of the loop, with the
smaller loop being much better.

The difference between a 1' and 2' loop is almost incosequential. Of more
importance is the depth of the nulls ( i.e. loop balance).

Your S meter IS connected to the AGC line- that is what it measures.

Dale W4OP