Old March 27th 06, 04:32 AM posted to rec.radio.scanner
Frank

Default SATCOM?

Bob,

I've also heard them with Eastern European (Russian I believe)
language as well. Usually, I hear them around 8:00 or 9:00AM EST, but this
was in the afternoon. Why are they transmitting on UHF SATCOM frequencies?

Frank

"Bob" wrote in message
om...
Not that uncommon to hear Spanish and especially Brazilian pirates on US
UHF SATCOM birds. Many of the Spanish stations sound like local chit chat
and they may not be intending to go through a satellite. The Brazilians
are definitely Pirates and use the satellites like a big CB repeater. A
guy in Brentwood, CA with a Portuguese surname name was recently busted
for unlicensed operation and the frequency range listed by the FCC was in
the UHF Satcom range. I would like to find out if this guy was connected
with the Brazilian Pirates that have been plaguing the system for years. I
have picked up McMurdo Station conversing with a supply aircraft via UHF
SATCOM with my PRO-43 and stock rubber duck, so there is no reason to
believe you did not pick up a UHF satellite. The new UHF follow on
satellites have a pretty hot downlink.
Bob

Frank wrote:
I heard a Spanish conversation between two people on 263.825 NFM earlier
today at 5:00 PM EST. This was from my location in NE Ohio. I believe
this is a SATCOM frequency. Any ideas what this was? I was listening on
my PRO-43 with just a 220 Mhz Ham Band rubber duck antenna indoors with
NO pre-amp.

Frank