Old March 3rd 04, 04:02 AM
Thierry

Default BCL vs callsigns

Hi,

I achieve my "history of ham radio" and I need a confrmation about BCL

Up to now the U. S. Federal Communications Commission oversees the operations of U.S. private sector international broadcasters, and assigns 4 character alphabetic call signs to the international broadcasters.
But what about a company like VOA's (Voice of America) and thousands others who use a trade name instead of a callsign ?
Aren't they under the FCC authority ?

According my sources they 'd be under the responsibility of the Spectrum Management Division of the International Broadcasting Bureau and do not fall under the regulatory authority of the FCC...

That 'd be in the early days of VOA, 1950s, that the broadcasts were transmitted from facilities in the United States owned by private entities. Those private owners were regulated by the FCC, and operated under FCC assigned call signs. Examples that I recall include Bound Brook, New Jersey (WBOU, I think) etc.
By 1965, to confirm, all domestic facilities used for VOA-like broadcasts were government owned, and thus they no longer operated with call signs - all programs were identified with a "Voice of America" announcement.

Has someone out there any conformation of these facts ?

Thanks in advance

Thierry, ON4SKY
http://www.astrosurf.com/lombry