Old March 28th 06, 07:29 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
John Popelish

Default what a 1:1 choke balum used for

Cecil Moore wrote:
wrote:

I desided to open the pvc to find out just what was inside, I found a
bunch of ferrite disk stacked over the coax, this wasent my idea of a
1:1 balum.

You have what is commonly known as a W2DU 1:1 balun-choke
made popular by Walter Maxwell. It's probably not very
effective on 80m and 160m because of the choice of
ferrite materials.

If you can get an ohm reading when you touch the two probes of an ohm
meter to the ferrite, then it is probably a low frequency, high
permeability manganese zinc ferrite, and may produce enough common
mode impedance to act effectively as a 1:1 balun in this frequency
range.

If you measure an open circuit, it is almost certainly higher
frequency, lower permeability nickel zinc ferrite and will produce
insufficient common mode impedance to be effective as a balun in this
frequency range.