Old March 3rd 04, 01:09 PM
Doug Smith W9WI

Thierry wrote:
Hi,
Thanks for the info.
In the Armed Forces.. do you include also military stations ? For example
who assigned calls to the Army operators working in the field ?
Was it the Management Division of the International Broadcasting Bureau
instead of FCC ?

I meant only broadcasting stations. (the AFRTS stations that operate to
provide music and information in English for U.S. military personnel in
non-English-speaking countries, or in isolated areas with no civilian
radio/TV stations. Can you receive the station on 873KHz in Germany?)
There are also two low-power stations within the U.S. itself, operated
for the information and entertainment of students at the military
officer-training academies.

Stations used for military two-way communications are assigned callsigns
by the military. I would suspect those callsigns are often assigned by
officers in the field, for tactical reasons.

Assignment of radio *frequencies* to government stations is by the
Interdepartmental Radio Advisory Committee.
http://www.ntia.doc.gov/osmhome/iracdefn.html When assigning
frequencies that are shared with (or primarily used by) civilians, like
broadcasting channels, they cooperate with the FCC.

I *believe* the International Broadcasting Bureau is only responsible
for selection of frequencies for the Voice of America and its related
services. (Radio Marti, Radio Sawa, etc..)
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View (Nashville), TN EM66