Old March 31st 06, 03:30 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Gene Fuller

Default Current through coils

Cecil,

I guess I am a bit puzzled.

The bugcatcher example I sent you showed a phase shift of about 7
degrees at 4 MHz. The current at the top of the coil drops off to about
85% of the base current. I believe the delay computes to something
around 5 ns. That does not seem like a HUGE delay for a coil that
contains nearly 40 feet of wire.

I presume you can now duplicate and verify these results, since we have
not heard any contrary information. That coil is real close in design to
a genuine Texas Bugcatcher #680 from Henry Allen.

Absolutely no one around RRAA clings to a rigid lumped component model,
except your straw man. The distinction is that most people treat this
non-ideality as a perturbation. You seem to want to elevate it to the
status of realignment of the planets.

It has been explained over and over why real coils are not ideal. I am
sure you understand. I am not at all sure why you persist in carrying on
this rather pointless argument.

73,
Gene
W4SZ

Cecil Moore wrote:

A 75m bugcatcher coil is not a small inductor. You guys have
backed so far out of the basic real world argument that we can't
even see your coils anymore without a microscope. Of course,
microscopic coils have delays that can be ignored. 75m bugcatcher
coils are not microscopic. They are HUGE!

How you can argue that the magnitude of the current is the same
at both ends of the coil when 12 out of 13 of the measurements
showed they were different is magical thinking, divorced from
reality.