Old March 31st 06, 01:28 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Cecil Moore

Default Current through coils

Gene Fuller wrote:
I completely called your bluff on
the bugcatcher coil, and you simply ignore the result and slide away to
some other Don Quixote adventure.

The EZNEC simulation is just one more data point in a large set
of data points that are already widely scattered. EZNEC does not
have magic or God-like properties to override reality especially
when your design results in pages and pages of segmentation
guideline violations. The jury is still out on the question.

You guys have a habit of declaring victory when you score your
first point after trailing 10-0. When only one coil out of a
dozen tests showed the current at each end of the toroidal
coil to be the same, W8JI declared that was proof that all
coils have the same current at each end.

If you will check my postings, you will see that I said
the delay through a coil is what it is and we usually don't
know what it is. But we do know it is NOT instantaneous and
we know it is unlikely to be the 3 nS measured by W8JI.

I was surprised to see EZNEC report the delay as 20% less than
my lower estimate of 10 degrees. But that 8 degrees is 100%
higher than W8JI's measured values.

And there's your pesky posting about standing wave currents.

The only "phase" remaining is the cos (kz) term, which is really an amplitude
description, not a phase.

If we assume the 1.013 amp at the bottom of the coil occurs when
the forward and reflected currents are in phase, then the 0.7628
amps at the top of the coil would have the currents 82 degrees
out of phase, i.e. a 41 degree phase shift through the coil.
That is, of course, only a rough estimate, but enough different
from the 8 degrees to suspect something is wrong with my suggested
traveling wave antenna.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp