Old March 12th 04, 10:13 AM
Peter Lemken

Walt Davidson wrote:
On Fri, 12 Mar 2004 09:08:47 +0100, "Zlatko Feric"
wrote:

What is the best chance to work XF4IH?? I have been watching the cluster
spots from the beginning of operation, but no luck... I am using 3el
tribander but I could not heard them AT ALL!!!

Same here. I have given up trying.

The original team of 6 operators had to be cut down to 3 and they only have
100 Watts and dipoles for 160-30 meters and a small tribander for 10, 15 and
20 meters.

However, a new operator is supposed to join the team within the next two
days and he will at least bring an amplifier and *experience* to the island.
Most of the operators are not aware of the European opening times, which is
why the level of frustration is so high among the European stations.

By now, every US-station will have worked XF4 on one mode/band, at least
that is my impression from seeing permanent questions as to 160, RTTY or PSK
activities.

Current conditions add to the frustration: With A=27 and K=5 it is a tough
spot to work from Europe, even considering that propagation only passes the
polar zones.

Best chances should be between 02:30 UTC and EU sunrise on 40 meters and
early morning on 20, possibly late afternoon on 15/17 meters. However, they
have rarely been active during these times. Heard them fine on 40 m on
Monday, but the US wall made it impossible to work them with anything less
than a Yagi and kilowatt combo.

Frustrating, indeed.

Peter Lemken
DF5JT
Berlin

--
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in
a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly