Old April 1st 06, 05:19 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Tom Donaly

Default Current through coils

Cecil Moore wrote:
Roy Lewallen wrote:

It'll be easy enough to show that's false. If I set up a simple
measurement with a piece of Air-Dux in series with a resistor, a
couple of calibrated current probes, and a dual-channel scope, will
you believe the results? Or would you rather have someone else make
the measurement or do it yourself?

Sorry for the double posting, but I just thought of an experiment
that will settle everything.

Take W8JI's 100 uH coil. Keep the spacing between coil 1 and
coil 100 the same at one foot. Get rid of all the other coils
leaving only coil 1 and coil 100 separated by one foot of air.
Use coil 1 as the primary coil and measure the coupling from
coil 1 to coil 100. If it is 100%, you will have made believers
out of everyone and we can stop this silly argument.

The lumped circuit theory says that all the flux in coil 1
links to coil 100 one foot away just as if they were
both tightly wrapped around a toroid.

So there's the challenge. Simply prove that 2" dia coils one
foot apart in air transfer all the energy from one coil to
the other. Piece of cake.

What lumped circuit theory? It's a simplification and everyone
knows it. Don't set up any more straw men than you have to, Cecil.
73,
Tom Donaly, KA6RUH