Old April 1st 06, 04:35 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
John Black

Default NiMH batteries and charger in Satellit 700

Brian;

NiMh batteries will work fine. The charger in the Sat 700 is a stupid one;
it has no automatic circuitry in it at all, just trickle charges at around
65ma. As long as you keep that in mind when selecting and charging your
batteries, all will be well.

John

"Brian O" wrote in message

"David" wrote in message
On Thu, 30 Mar 2006 19:37:29 -0600, "Brian O"
wrote:

"David" wrote in message
.. .
On Thu, 30 Mar 2006 14:16:41 -0600, "Brian O"
wrote:

Has anyone used NiMh batteries in conjunction with the charging unit

in
the
Grundig Satellit 700? Will it charge them without damage to the

battery
or
the radio?

Also, I'm looking for EPROM chips to use with this radio. Who might

have
them and do you know any chip type numbers? Thanks in advance.
B.

NiMH's cannot beproperly charged with a NiCd charger.

I'm not so sure. The are the same voltage per cell. Unless there is

some
difference in the method of charging, I would think it would be

alright.
Do
you know anything a bit more technical about charging differences or

where I
might find out?

Then why did you ask the question?

http://www.greenbatteries.com/bachfa...%20batterie s

To get an accuarte technical explaination. I found the people in the
electronics group to be very helpful. Thank you for your kindness.

"Asking about the difference between NiCd & NiMH battery chargers -

The Cadex site (www.cadex.com) says that there are important
differences between the chargers. They claim that:

The charge termination criterion is different. Most NiCd chargers
stop (or transition to trickle charge) on a characteristic voltage
drop. The NiMH voltage drop is more subtle. Most NiMH chargers
transition based on temperature.

The NiMH cell requires a smaller trickle charge. "A trickle
charge that is acceptable for the NiCd will overheat the NiMH and
cause irreversible damage."