Old April 2nd 06, 04:09 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Dan Andersson

Default What is an EH antenna

wrote:

Dan Andersson wrote:

The EH-Antenna is just another small antenna with it's preferred field of
application. It's not to be compared with any directional antenna as it's
mostly omnidirectional. Also, the EH have to be mounted 1/4 wavelength up
to work according to the designers.

The EH antenna theory is total rubbish. It is physically impossible to
mix an electric field and a magnetic field and generate EM radation.

The basic operating premise of the EH antenna is a lie.

The EH that receives most of the appraisal is the 160m version. Probably
because it's very difficult to have a dipole or longwire up for 160m...
so when compared to a 160m dipole 10 meter above ground, the EH
outperforms that dipole

Nonsense. You won't find a single scientifically made test where an EH
antenna outperforms a similar size regular short monopole.

On 160 meters EH antennas are typically 10 dB down or more from very
poor dipoles.

If an EH antenna beats another antenna it is always tracible back to
the other antenna being grossly poor. There isn't a single professional
evaluation of the EH antenna in the world that has ever shown it to be
better than any other antenna the same physical size, and most show it
is actually worse.

If you polled a large cross section of people about a very poor leader
of a country, you'd find a significant percentage claiming the very
poor leader was a good leader despite very clear evidence to the
contrary. The EH antenna and any other widespread myth is no different.
It's all about blind faith and spin rather than facts. Some people just
don't care about facts, and prefer to live by faith.

The EH antenna will probably go on for years, despite the fact it has
been proven over and over to be a fraud.

73 Tom

So, the subject is still taboo.

Well Tom, I can't say I have seen your evidence that the EH-antenna is a
fraud. On the other hand, the only test I found of the 160m EH was in the
RSGB Radcom, and that test was in positive wording. I have not seen any
positive test of a 80 m EH tho'!
Also, a couple of tests that I've seen on the EH claiming it doesn't work,
have been rubbish too. I saw one test by a chap - Calvin something I think
it was, that had all the necessary equipment at hand but unfortunately, the
test where spoiled by to inflated ego's. Other tests have been claimed it
do work but I don't see any of them as really scientifically correct
either.

Professional tests? Wasn't there a proper evaluation done on a commercial EH
for a radiostation a couple years back?

I do not agree with you claim that there isn't a single professional
evaluation. The EH for VHF was tested in France - maybe two years ago now
and was in line for 27,000 installations. The EH lost because of the price,
not because of performance. The EH results gave a S/N improvement of 5 to 7
dB, which dramatically improved the telemetry systems functionality. As
this was a commercial evaluation, no data where released.

As to the field theory, which I didn't mention anything about in my earlier
posting, I just cannot comment about that theory as I, amongst many other
hams, lack the really deep knowledge of EM theory other than what can be
found in the normal text books.

The let us take a look on the "fraud theory". The inventor of the EH doesn't
have ( as far as I know ) any known record of fraud. On the contrary
actually. As I remember it, a similar debate raged when he presented the
mini magnetic loops some years ago. When he presented the noise bridge,
there where no problems at all as I remember it. So for now, I can't see
any deeper conspiracy theories lurking around the corner neither any real
reasons as an incentive for a fraud.

The best tests of the EH so far have been on VHF and without any coax
connected to the EH.

I'm actually very interested to read up on this and as you write there are
multiple evidence of fraud, I'm sure you can post some pointers to these
tests.

BTW! I'm quite sure many of us stumble on the EH's daily nowadays as a
common use of the EH is for RFID equipment.

Cheers

Dan