Old March 14th 04, 05:19 PM
Peter Dougherty

Doug Smith W9WI said :

Sure, it'd be nice if every rare one was activated by a team of skilled
operators with plenty of equipment. Sometimes, for reasons beyond the
control of the ham community, that's not possible.

When it's beyond their control, well, so be it. That's life. If it's
NOT beyond their control, however, then there's room for improvement
or a better performance.

I remember plenty of
grumbling about TO4E's weird operating schedule -- as it turns out, any
other schedule would have prevented the expedition altogether.

TO4E's biggest problem was a lost barrel of fuel for the generator.
That fault lies where it may. Once the were dealt the hand they got,
it was up to them to do their best with it. Did they do their best
with it? I'll leave that decision up to you.

My grand total of DXpedition experience consists of a few QSOs on 2
meters while mobile in Canada. If the Indian government were to invite
me to bring my old TS-680 and a Windom to VU4, should I turn them down?

....and our sked will be when?? grin

I would hope departure date you'd have something a little better than
the 680, but even if you didn't, you'd likely have done enough reading
on good DXpedition operating procedures to know how to manage the
pileups that will happen should that magical event ever happen.

73 de Peter, W2IRT
(ex-AB2NZ, VE3THX)

Please reply to Double-you Two Eye Are Tee at Arrl.net