Old April 3rd 06, 02:58 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Cecil Moore

Default Current through coils

Cecil Moore wrote:
Some people, who no doubt have recognized their technical errors,
simply refuse to discuss the technical subjects. Ian, OTOH, seems
open to discussing those topics so please don't be too hard on him.
An honest person deserves respect whether he is right or wrong.

In accordance with my goal of being honest, here is some ammunition
for the other side of the argument. In Dr. Corum's IEEE paper he
said regarding the Z0 of a loading coil:

"It is worth noting that, for a helical anisotropic wave guide,
the effective characteristic impedance is not merely a function
of the geometrical configuration of the conductors (as it would
be for lossless TEM coaxial cables and twin-lead transmission
lines), but it is ALSO A FUNCTION OF THE EXCITATION FREQUENCY."

I have been assuming that the Z0 of a loading coil didn't change
much with frequency. Both Dr. Corum and EZNEC seem to disagree
with that assumption. So, as is my practice, I am using the
scientific method to adjust my concepts about that subject.

I hope this proves that I am only interested in the technical
facts which have not been proven one way or another as of
this posting.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp