Old April 3rd 06, 03:03 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Bob Bob

Default RF/microwaves over Fiberoptic cable???

Hi Marco

Yes but its more of use in a commercial/military than amateur radio
environment.

I remember that certain cellular site installs I was involved in ran
fiber from a the "main" RF TX/RX device to a remote location. The remote
location simply had a broadband amplifier for the separate TX and RX.
This was used in an underground railway station going out to maybe 3-4
locations. It was more cost effective doing it this way than by long
coax runs at 900/1800MHz.

It will be a cost/benefit tradeoff of whatever RF/SMOF/RF interface
device you have to purchase vs the cost of coax vs fiber.

This is something an amateur radio person isnt likely to do for his/her
hobby. I also doubt whether it will be commercially viable for amateur
radio manufacturers to include fiber interfacing.

OBTW you can tap/intercept optical fibre .

Cheers Bob W5/VK2YQA

Marco Licetti wrote:
I am not here to pester about own company - I do NOT work for this but just
to share experience: