Old April 3rd 06, 07:43 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Cecil Moore

Default Current through coils

K7ITM wrote:
"Cyclical variation in charge (contained
within a volume)" means that on average the charge stays constant, but
it does not mean that it's constant over some arbitratily short but
finite length of time.

The current reported by EZNEC is RMS current, Tom. What happens
within a cycle is irrelevant to this discussion.

We are not and never have been discussing variations within a
cycle. There's just no point. We have been discussing RMS values
of currents. Your attempt to again divert the issue is noted. We
are talking about net charge spread out over many steady-state
cycles. That net charge is always zero no matter what the RMS
value of the standing wave current at the ends of the coil.

Without the capacitance, without the ability to store charge, a
transmission line, an antenna wire, a loading coil, all of them--would
not have the ability to cause delay. Freespace, without a non-zero
permittivity (capacitance), would allow infinite speed of light. But
all these things DO have capacitance, and they DO have
speed-of-propagation at the speed of light or slower.

Please tell us something we don't already know.

It has become apparent that the discussion is not about coils at
all. It is about the nature of standing waves whether existing
in a transmission line, a standing wave antenna wire, or a coil.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp