Old April 4th 06, 03:37 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Cecil Moore

Default Current across the antenna loading coil - from scratch

John Popelish wrote:

Cecil Moore wrote:
Of course, *everyone* except you and Tom Donaly are talking about
charge stored over a whole cycle.

Bull.

If that's what you think and you can find someone to discuss
energy exchange within a cycle, be my guest. As far as I know,
Tom Donaly introduced the subject as a diversion.

I don't read their responses that way.

I couldn't believe it either but after years of arguing with them,
it is apparent that many of the gurus here on r.r.a.a are simply
ignorant of the nature of standing waves.

I really expected them to shout, "April Fool, we have been pulling
your leg!" But, sad to say, they are serious about standing wave
current "flowing" into the bottom of the coil and out the top.
They apparently haven't read "Optics", by Hecht where he says:
"E(x,t) = 2Eo*sin(kx)*cos(wt) This is the equation for a standing
wave, as opposed to a traveling wave. Its profile does not move
through space. ... [The standing wave] phasor doesn't rotate at
all, and the resultant wave it represents doesn't progress through
space - its a standing wave." If standing waves of light don't move
through space, standing waves of RF don't move through a wire.

I read their responses as saying
that the current leaving or entering an end of an inductor includes a
capacitive component and an inductive component. The capacitive current
branches out of the coil to the surrounding space, and is what allows a
measured difference in the currents passing through its two ends.

That is a secondary effect. The primary effect is the phasor addition
of the forward current and reflected current which you provided.

Compared to zero amps of standing wave current when the forward current
phasor and the reflected current phasor are 180 degrees out of phase,
just how much effect can capacitance have?
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp