Old April 5th 06, 04:23 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Cecil Moore

Default Current across the antenna loading coil - from scratch

Roy Lewallen wrote:
And in any case, the statement about EZNEC is incorrect. As I explained
in a posting a short while ago, EZNEC has no awareness of nor does it
make any use of traveling wave currents or voltages. It calculates only
the total current from fundamental rules which don't involve traveling
waves.

EZNEC reports a different phase for traveling wave currents than
it does for standing wave currents. It does know the difference
although I don't know how it knows. It recognizes the difference
between a terminated line with no reflections and an unterminated
line with reflections.

The current reported by EZNEC for a terminated rhombic, for
instance, is clearly traveling wave current since the phase
changes with distance from the source.

The current reported by EZNEC for a 1/2WL dipole, for instance,
is clearly standing wave current since the phase doesn't
change with distance from the source.

The two kinds of currents are clearly not identical in either
EZNEC or in reality. They are only identical in some human
minds.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp