Old April 5th 06, 07:28 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Michael A. Terrell

Default Question about auto antenna cable and connectors

- exray - wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

It was RG62 93 ohm coax.

Certainly not in older radios. I don't know what they sell nowadays.

I've seen that 'spiral' type of cable. They basically used the spiral
as a means of maintaining the centre conductor in the average 'middle'
of the hollow dielectric.

The combined inductance and capacitance of the old cable was somewhat
critical but the older radios provided an antenna trimmer to compensate
for the variations. The electrical model was essentially a "voltage
probe" and doesn't necessarily follow common antenna/feedline rules and
thought.

-Bill

One of the engineers at Delco told me it was RG-62, and 93 ohms when
I was going to their annual car radio training back in the early '70s.
IBM also used RG-62 on their coaxial computer networking, but they used
BNC connectors.
prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell