Old April 8th 06, 08:09 AM posted to rec.radio.broadcasting
Mat Cvetic

Default Explain this phenomenon, please

In article ,
Doug Smith W9WI wrote:

wrote:
When I pass a particular spot traveling east Northern Parkway on Long
Island, and I have my radio tuned to 88.3 I hear Howard Stern's voice
momentarily. (I once heard Quiver's voice, too.) We know that Stern is
on satellite radio now, so why would the conditions explained allow me
to hear him?

Someone in that neighborhood has a satellite radio that uses 88.3 to
transmit the audio into a regular radio. IOW you're listening to a
(very low powered!) pirate station.

All the portable satellite receivers have built-in FM transmitters so
you can plop it in your car and use it without having to modify your car
radio. I'm sure the power is low enough to be legal.