Old April 8th 06, 09:26 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
DeWayne

Default the best buy in a communications receiver right now

"Joe Analssandrini" wrote in message
oups.com...
Dear DeWayne,

I have not seen the Eton E1, not being interested in it for the
following reasons:

1) PASSPORT claims its sound quality is okay but not great. (Of course
I cannot confirm this.) The Satellit 800's sound is, as you know, very,
very good. When you're trying to ID a weak transmission or you're
listening to a program for an hour or more, you want the best sound
quality possible. That's where my AOR AR7030 Plus REALLY shines - it
has the best sound quality of any shortwave receiver I have ever heard

If it's better than my Drake R8 it must be heaven!

and the Grundig Satellit is a close second. Think about that: the
Satellit was priced, even new, one-third to one-fourth the price of an
AR7030 yet it offers about 95% of its performance and sound quality.
AND the Satellit is portable!

2) It has only one external antenna connection, not three as on the
Satellit 800.

3) It has no Air Band (I have found this to be very useful) and I have
absolutely no interest in any "pay" radio service.

4) A fairly large "portable" radio with no handle? This makes no sense.

Crazy ain't it!

5) No internal ferrite antenna for MW and this is, in fact, due to a
lot of digital "hash" generated within the receiver. This is poor
design, in my opinion.

Overall, PASSPORT and every other review I have read are very positive
about the E1 but the limitations mentioned above preclude me from
considering it. The Grundig Satellit 800 has NONE of the above problems
and is STILL the only radio of which I'm aware that can be used as a
tabletop (with virtually all of the advantages of same) and as a
portable (with all of the advantages portables offer except the ability
to take it on an airplane).

And at its current offered (eBay) price of $200-300 (and even
considering that you may have to send it off to Drake for perhaps
another $100) it is the best buy in shortwave radio right now.

I realize that most of you will disagree with me (and with Mike) but
that's my opinion!

I don't necessarily disagree with you Joe. But I do like the 10 Hz tuning
resolution on the E1. 50 Hz is poor for SSB.

Best,

Joe