Old April 8th 06, 01:41 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
John S.

Default Antenna Tuner

blitz wrote:
John S. writes...
coustanis wrote:

Although I will google this, I'll continue the thread by asking;
What's the difference between a tuner and a preslector?

What kind of radio and antenna are you using. Unless you are using
something really old I don't think a preselector or an antenna tuner
will do you much good at all. They will end up being another set of
knobs to twiddle and twist. You will find the tuner in particular will
raise the signal level, but it will raise everything and no new signals
will magically appear from the ether.

I've got two hi-fi tuners that overload on the outdoor long-wire (on
AM, of course). Is there a way to tune, preselect, detune, balun,
resist, or whatever the antenna so I can use it?

The simplest solution is to reduce the signal strength. cut back on
the gain control or switch in the attenuator if your radio has one.