Old April 8th 06, 01:45 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
John S.

Default Antenna Tuner

coustanis wrote:
John S. wrote:
coustanis wrote:
junius wrote:
David wrote:
On 7 Apr 2006 12:58:01 -0700, "coustanis" wrote:

What antenna tuner (possibly with amp) for under...say a hundred bucks
do you folks like.
This would be for general coverage and DXing.

Thanks.

http://www.mfjenterprises.com/produc...odid=MFJ-1020C

(Not a tuner, but a preselector, which is much better.)

There's also the 1045C which is not designed as an active antenna.

http://www.mfjenterprises.com/produc...odid=MFJ-1045C

According to one of the techs I talked to at MFJ, this unit is to be
preferred over the 1020C, if your main concern is preselection. Of
course, it comes with no whip antenna. Runs off of a 9V battery as
well as from a wall wart (just like the 1020C). The description says
the 1045C accomodates 2 antennae and 2 receivers: not true; it's for
one antenna and one receiver, although it does have both a UHF and an
RCA connector for your antenna connection and the same for connection
to your receiver.

junius

Although I will google this, I'll continue the thread by asking;
What's the difference between a tuner and a preslector?

What kind of radio and antenna are you using. Unless you are using
something really old I don't think a preselector or an antenna tuner
will do you much good at all. They will end up being another set of
knobs to twiddle and twist. You will find the tuner in particular will
raise the signal level, but it will raise everything and no new signals
will magically appear from the ether.

An R-1000 with an indoor random longwire. Eventually I'll set up an
outdoor dipole
or something similar.

Unless you are experiencing problems I would not look for a solution.
An R1000 will do just fine on a simple longwire. believe the radio
has an attenuator and an rf gain, and both can be used to minimize
strong signal effects.

Congrats on owning a classic.