Old April 9th 06, 07:03 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Richard Clark

Default 16 el coaxial colinear (2.4ghz) question

On Sun, 9 Apr 2006 12:45:06 -0500, "Ken Bessler"
wrote:

New antenna is a 16 element coaxial collinear @32' agl.
Total transmission system losses work out to 5.299db @2.412
ghz (includes feedline + N connectors).

So, why does this antenna only have about (rough measurement)
1-3 db gain over the stock antenna? I was meticulous in my work,
measuring the antenna parts with a digital caliper and checking
the connections with a DVM along the way.

Maybe my design is a fault?

Hi Ken,

What did you compute as being the Velocity Factor for the shield being
covered with thick PVC?

The problem with this modified Franklin Array is that you are cutting
for half-wave dimensions once, for two Velocity Factors along the same
length. Only one is going to be correct, and it is going to impact
the theoretical application of the other.

You might want to try again using bare wire, twin lead fashion.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC