Old April 21st 04, 11:21 PM
Peter Dougherty

7Q, MALAWI (Update/Reminder). By the time you read this, the UK Malawi
DXpedition should have started. As this was being typed Sunday morning
(1530z), the UK team was not active. The callsign to be used by the
UK Malawi DXpedition between April 18th and May 1st will be 7Q7MM.

They were active today (April 21) at 1200Z on 21 MHz CW. I called
them for half an hour without success. It seemed to be one of those
infuriating operators who spins the RX dial after every QSO, so it's
pointless trying to locate their QSX frequency ... you just have to
stay calling on one spot and hope they will eventually listen there by
chance. Grrrrr!

They're going to be QRV until May 1st; my guess is they'll be begging
by this time next week. Don't sweat it. They were on 20 SSB tonight
and I got through 3rd or 4th call simplex with 600W and a low dipole,
so the crowds are starting to thin a bit.

They do have a pretty crummy signal into the east coast of north
America, though. I've heard ZS stations S9+20 yesterday and today and
they're at best 55 to me.

I'll take anything, though...just so long as it's my call coming back
through the noise, I don't care if it's 1 x 1 grin.

73 de Peter, W2IRT
(ex-AB2NZ, VE3THX)

Please reply to Double-you Two Eye Are Tee at Arrl.net