Old April 9th 06, 11:41 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
David

Default Antenna Tuner

On Sun, 09 Apr 2006 15:57:47 -0400, blitz @. wrote:

David writes...

On Sat, 08 Apr 2006 10:37:21 -0400, blitz @. wrote:

HiFi AM tuners suck.

Compared to what?

Real radios.

Humor me.

They usually just throw in a single IC chip tuner that brick-walls the
high frequncies at around 4500 Hertz. If you try to use anything
other than the 6 feet of wire on a loop that comes with the receiver
the things will overload like crazy.

So I noticed, except for one old Yamaha that doesn't.

I have a Sangean ATS-606A that's well matched to its cabinet that I
use when travelling. It will occasionally whistle so I know that it's
got some bandwidth (has a ''fine tuner'' so I can tune away from the
adjacent.)

At home the cheapest thing I listen to MW on is a Drake SW2 (kitchen).
I also have an ICOM R75 in the bedroom and a Drake R8B in my office.

I can't stand inferior AM radios.