Old April 12th 06, 04:21 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment
Michael A. Terrell

Default Military and Monmouth

Joseph Fenn wrote:

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

Speaking along those lines, I was an RO at a WW1 CCC camp in Fla
when I got a msg from Sig Corps at WUO Ft Benning asking me to
come up and sign up with them and they would put me to work
right away. No basic training, or boot camp. I grabbed it
as I knew I could handle the CW up to around 40WPM at the CCC's.
Only problem was I got paid $8 a month and $22 a month went direct
to my Mom. After started at WD Radio in Benning even as a PFC
I was drawing down about $80 a month in 1940. Reason WUO handled
not only the S.C. WD Radio traffic, but also handled all the
Western Union and Postal Telegrph stuff accross the counter
so both W.U. and Postal Tel paid us a commision on top of
our Military Pay. Never went to any S.C. School until about
1944 as we rotated back to the USA on our 85 points system
of overseas duty. They did'nt know what to do with all the
5 and 6 stripe NCO's that were being thrown back to USA,
So they sent us to Camp Crowder S.C. school and taught us
how to be technicians on wide band FM which was just coming
into existance.
Exited at Drew Field in FLA. just after VJ Day
Joe/KH6JF/ABM6JF/KP4EX/W4FAG/W9ZUU

Good for you! A lot of hams and people who knew CW were needed in a
hurry, and the military knew that they had to get them where they were
needed as soon as possible, so they bypassed basic training and AIT
wherever possible.

I always enjoy hearing from other Veterans who served in the signal
corps or AFRTS/AFRN. Thank you for your service to our country.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida