Old April 15th 06, 07:53 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Telamon

Default What's the most reliable portable short wave radio?

In article .com,
"Joe Analssandrini" wrote:

Dear Mr. Brown,

The Sony ICF-SW7600GR receiver is not only a superb performer for a
small portable, it is very ruggedly-built as well. I have five of them
(the oldest dating to 2001) and two of the predecessor model, the
ICF-SW7600G (purchased in 1998 and 2000). None has ever given less than
perfect performance and I take at least one of them wherever and
whenever I go on trips/vacations.

You do not need an AC adapter at all. The radio is extremely easy on
batteries. I recommend buying two sets of rechargeable NiMH batteries
(each cell having at least 2000 mAh) and a suitable charger, preferably
one with a DC adapter that can be used in a car. You'll never run out
of power and I think you'll be extremely pleased with this radio.

The only other option I would recommend, if you can find one, is the
now sadly-discontinued (in the US) Sony AN-LP1 antenna which is a
perfect match for this radio. Like the radio, the antenna is very well
made and travels easily.

There are probably other brands which are also well-made, but, owning
seven of these (as well as two Sony ICF-SW35s) I can confidently state
that Sony shortwave radios are made to a high standard.

Best,

Joe

P.S. Avoid Sangean models. I have been disappointed with the
construction quality of three of them.

OK, I might as well join the crowd and also recommend the Sony 7600 as I
have owned one for years and I am very happy with the performance. I
have had no problems with the radio.

I own a Sangean with the Radio Shack branded DX-380 that is still
working fine. Construction quality is on par for a cheap portable. This
radio performs well and I have not had any trouble with it either. Maybe
the quality had gone down hill the last few years but I would not know
about that situation.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California