Old April 19th 06, 01:46 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Dan Andersson

Default paint antenna?

ml wrote:

just read a article someplace about a new conductive paint that is going
to be used by different sources (pvt/mil) to in effect paint an antenna
on a surface. once such use was an 'orbiting' blimp , planes etc to
repete signals

ok so i wonder my roof has a flat brick wall it's 40ft tall 40ft wide

if i painted a antenna design think i'd get any useful performance in at
least one direction?

unf it didn't state any spec's but it's commercial

just really thinking out louad how a antenna w/little profile but
otherwise large surfacce area might work

The metal powder paints are not working well as antennas, copper or
aluminium makes no difference. To be able to paint an antenna on an
isolating material, I use the silver oxide based paints. Some of these
paints can even be soldered on. You can connect the coax by capacitive or
direct connection, just make up a small pcb with the gilded side towards
the painted surface and it'll work fine. Just glue it to the surface.

You often find this type of paint for repairs of windscreen heater coils.

The normal variants are transparent and a slightly greenish-silverish
colour.

You can paint an antenna on a car window if you have a standard glass and
none of the new gilded glass with a surface heater or defroster.

However, as the paint is not resistant to wear, like cleaning a window, you
have to cover the painted areas with a self adhesive film.

The painted antenna was tested for use in buses and subsequently for VHF and
UHF only.
Output power in tens of watts are ok but I did not test with higher powers.

You can also make a precut fractal template and just apply the paint with a
roller or a cloth....

Cheers

Dan / M0DFI