Old April 19th 06, 05:02 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.dx
Doug Smith W9WI

Default VU4

wrote:
I was worried that I wouldn't be able to get 3Y0X from my apartment
QTH: I have a magnet wire doublet and a tuner... but I got them on 30m
& 20m CW and 40 SSB... the last of which was pure dumb luck; no one was
calling... It was exciting in a way that heading up to the W3EAX U of
MD shack wouldn't have been.

At many universities, there is no way to erect an antenna in student
housing. At Wisconsin it was contrary to housing authority rules -- and
on the upper floors it was physically impossible even if you didn't
worry about the rules. Steel frame construction made indoor antennas
useless on the HF bands. (believe me, I tried. Made an entire *one*
QSO on HF from my room - with the club station across the street...)

i.e., often it's not a matter of not wanting to use an inferior personal
station - it's a matter of not *having* a personal station at all.

--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View (Nashville), TN EM66