Old April 20th 06, 08:17 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
junius

Default Question - Degen DE1108 - Will It Be A Super Radio ? - Or just another 'portable' radio that missed the mark ?

Degen is entering the market for an entirely different class of radio,
if this '1108 is to be all that the internet rumor hypes it up to be.
It seems to me that with this radio the incentive to order directly
from Guangdong will be considerably eroded:
* the unit will be larger and will weigh more, so shipping from China
would be higher;
* a feature-packed radio would understandably cost a lot more than the
Degens we've seen so far, so wouldn't you prefer a warranty on that
(i.e. buy Kaito) and not have to deal with shipping back to China if
something goes wrong?
* there is to be a design for the Chinese domestic market and another
for export...I wonder if there will be any differences beyond the
merely cosmetic?

How is Kaito on dealing with repair/warranty issues? Has anyone ever
had a Kaito repaired under warranty? Seems like with any real
problems, it'd be cheaper for them to just send out a new one w/the
models currently available...although I guess that wouldn't be the case
with an '1108, if it's of the level of sophistication that seems to be
expected.