Old April 21st 06, 07:01 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Ralph Mowery

Default question about tunable capacitor: how to mount ??

"switcher" wrote in message
On the picture, you'll see 7 connections for the cables, oe at the
bottom (7), 6 at the top of the C. How do I need to connect the cables
to have the maximum out of my AM/SW loop antenna ??

http://users.fulladsl.be/spb13810/amloop/tunablec.jpg

I would like to know what I can do with screws A, B, C and D, and of
course, where to connect the cable ends ...

I am not sure how to connect the wires to the loop, but they go to the tabs
that are numbered.
The screws go to 4 small trimmer capacitors for adjustments. Usually that
kind of capacitor comes out of an AM/FM radio and the capacitors are for
fine adjustments of the ranges. One for the frequency of the oscillator and
one for the tuning for each band. They mostly affect the high end of the
band as they are small in compairison to the main capacitor. The are hooked
internally to the main capacitors the shaft adjusts.
If you look close you will see the half round plate turn as you turn the
screw. A coil is usually adjust for the low end of the band. You go back
and forth from the low end , adjusting the coil and to the high end
adjusting the screw for the best tracking across the band. The oscillator
for the frequency readout and the tuning for maximum signal.