Old April 22nd 06, 12:11 AM
Thomas anonymous Thomas anonymous is offline
Junior Member

Location: BC, Canada

I agree, however in my current situation I really can't keep going up and down to the roof because I'm renting a suite in the basement and I'm already pushing things with all the feedlines and isopole VHF antennas already up there. The landlord is a really decent guy and has been totally reasonable --- so far. If I keep wanting to do more and more he's going to feel obligated to say no sooner or later.

There's another issue, though, a more important one --- I moved the feedpoint to the SW corner of the roof (pic at http://members.shaw.ca/cyberhun/ham.htm) and used coax for the feedline. But when I was up there, I was so freaked out by the height that I forgot to waterproof the termination --- but I'm not going back up there til I can figure a way to do it more securely. It doesn't matter how many guys are holding the bottom of the ladder. If it starts to slide one way or the other, there's too much leverage for anyone to stop it. Water damage be damned, a fall from that height could be deadly.