Old April 21st 06, 11:03 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
David

Default New Receiving Antenna Comments, And Grounding Question

On Fri, 21 Apr 2006 17:16:11 -0400, "Robert11"
wrote:

Hi,

In the category of "why the heck didn't I do that years ago," thought I'd
relate my experience
with a new HF receiving only antenna.

Up to now, have had a simple random length wire running around the four
sides of my attic.
Worked, and was able to receive many stations, but was always disappointing.

Bought the PAR EF-SWL antenna, and just put it up outside as an Inverted-L,
and away from the house by
about 75 feet or so. Coax run-in to the receiver.
Wow, what an incredible difference.
The noise level is way, way down.

Question; The PAR ends in a Balun, from which I have a wire to a ground bar
I pounded into the ground next to it.
From there, the coax starts.

I also have a chassis ground from the radio to a nearby cold water pipe.
Have been putting it on and off trying to decide if it helps to have this
additional ground, or hurts.
There is of course the ground loop questions, etc. about having two grounds
(the earth ground by the Balun, and this one to the cold water pipe)

Hate to admit it, but am having trouble deciding if it helps.
At times, and for different freq's, I sort of think it
either helps, or makes no difference, at other time, perhaps a bit more
noisy.

Most of the time, I believe, it makes absolutely no difference whether this
chassis receiver ground wire is on or off.

**Anyone have any thoughts or comments regarding having this additional
ground ? **

Should it make a difference ?
I tend to think it shouldn't matter, as they usually suggest grounding the
coax, Also, right where it enters the house, which would
be pretty much equivalent.

There is, of course, also the grounding pin of the AC power line, which,
pretty much ends up at the same
place, namely a cold water pipe via a ground/neutral wire, from the AC
Service Box.

Curious about what all you experts think re these configurations.
Not too sharp with this, and would appreciate any thoughts on.

Thanks,
Bob

Is there lightning where you live?