Old April 21st 06, 11:32 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Telamon

Default question about tunable capacitor: how to mount ??

In article ,
switcher wrote:

On the picture, you'll see 7 connections for the cables, oe at the
bottom (7), 6 at the top of the C. How do I need to connect the cables
to have the maximum out of my AM/SW loop antenna ??

http://users.fulladsl.be/spb13810/amloop/tunablec.jpg

I would like to know what I can do with screws A, B, C and D, and of
course, where to connect the cable ends ...

I am making one loop with these tools:
these are the picts:
http://users.fulladsl.be/spb13810/amloop/loop83cm.jpg

the loop, diameter = 83 cm.

http://users.fulladsl.be/spb13810/amloop/loopbottom.jpg
The bottom, a plastic case 11 x 18 cm.

http://users.fulladsl.be/spb13810/am...oopbottom2.jpg
The plastic screws that fit the hulahoop.

I will mount the C inside the box, so I'll have no cables outside ...

The capacitor will go across the coil or in other words connect to the
ends of the coil.

The capacitor is made of two opposing conducting plates with an
insulator between them. For most tunable capacitors the insulator is
air. One plate will stay in place and the other will rotate by turning
the shaft. When the plates are meshed together you have maximum
capacitance and lowest frequency of operation. You will have to look
through the case to find the connections to the opposing plates for each
section.

I can't tell from the picture but it looks like this box has two or more
sections. You can parallel the sections together if one section does not
have enough capacitance.

Also hard to tell is what the "screws" are in the picture but I expect
that they are trimmers (additional small adjustable capacitors) that are
arrayed across the main capacitor sections for alignment purposes.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California