Old April 23rd 06, 09:02 PM posted to rec.radio.swap,rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,rec.antiques.radio+phono
DeserTBoB

Default FS: HEATHKIT IM5284 Multimeter - UNBUILT -

On Sun, 23 Apr 2006 11:11:56 -0700, "graham"
wrote:

Wise up, guys. Unbuilt Heathkits are collector's items, far more
valuable than a built one.

Bill, W6WRT

... absolutely correct snip

I recall an unbuilt Heath AR-15 kit (WORST receiver I've ever owned in
my life, bar none) going for upwards of $500 a few years back. The
AR-15 was beleaguered with many problems, not the least of which was a
chronicly hot-running output stage due to inadequate heat sinks. The
MPX circuit was notoriously flaky on my example, as well, which traced
down to bad caps. Once debugged (and with a fan on its back end) it
was a pretty good FM tuner with an adequately beefy power amp. Sound
was....eh.