Old April 24th 06, 10:08 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default mobile loading coils

Thanks Cecil, I have some old fiberglass 11m antennas, the kind that has a
wire antenna heatshrinked to a fiberglass rod that would be pefect for
making this. ....................................

You can use one of those for all those bands, just by changing the
top "stinger" whip. I use the small hose clamps to hold them, if the
stick doesn't have a slide in mounting part on top.
IE: if you had a 6 ft CB stick that used a short stinger, you can add
length to tune the lower bands. On one of mine, the stinger needed to
be about 2 ft longer to tune 20m using the CB stick. So if you had
various
stingers to clip on, you could work all the bands from 20-10.
On those upper HF bands, even the simple CB stick/extended stinger
will work quite well. A cb/10m stick using a longer stinger to tune
20m,
is more efficient than most 20m sticks using more turns of wire, and a
shorter stinger.
I have one antenna that I've used for nearly 15 years that was built
from a
firestick CB antenna. I added a large coil in the middle, and it works
all
bands 80-10. I change coil taps on the low bands, stinger length on the

upper bands.
I also have one I made from a 6 ft 20m stick. It's also converted to
all
band use, and has the performance of a bugcatcher, being it uses a
large
coil on the lower bands. But...it's as light as a fishing rod n reel...
I use a 5 ft stinger, and the normal driving height of the antenna is
11 ft.
That antenna is exactly center loaded in the driving mode. If I add a
3 ft
mast, it's 14 ft tall, with the coil at the 8 ft level. But I use that
when parked.
Bit tall for driving... :/ Anyway, you can build a pretty good antenna
dirt
cheap if you look around. I've never spent more than junk parts and
chump change for a mobile antenna.
MK