Old April 24th 06, 11:23 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Cecil Moore

Default Current across the antenna loading coil - from scratch

Gene Fuller wrote:
In simplified form, when superposition applies it
says that the output from the combination of two inputs is the same as
the sum of the outputs from each input taken one at a time.

The point is that phase is not preserved through the superposition
process and as you have noted before, the phase information completely
disappears from the superposed standing wave current.

This is
precisely what allows all of the various authors to say that one can
consider a standing wave to be equivalent to two opposite direction
traveling waves. This is purely a mathematical notion; superposition
does not impact the physical reality at all.

It certainly impacts the physical reality of W7EL's phase measurements.
If he measured the delay through the coil using the forward current,
he would obtain valid results. If he measured the delay through the
coil using the reflected current, he would obtain valid results. But
the superposition of those two currents results in a signal with
unchanging phase that cannot validly be used to determine the delay
through a wire or a coil or anything else.

I thought you
were quoting me as one of your gurus when it was convenient.

Yes, because you agree with me on most technical points. Your arguments
with me are invariably personal, not technical. I am not aware of a
single technical point upon which you and I disagree.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp