Old April 24th 06, 11:21 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Reg Edwards

Default Velocity Factor and resonant frequency

How do you calculate the coil C to use in the transmission line
formulas?

Roy Lewallen, W7EL

===================================

I'm surprised a person of your knowledge asked.

Go to Terman's or other bibles, I'm sure you'll find it somewhere, and
find the formula to calculate the DC capacitance to its surroundings
of a cylinder of length L and diameter D.

Then do the obvious and distribute the capacitance uniformly along its
length.

The formula will very likely be found in the same chapter as the
inductance of a wire of given length and diameter.

I have the capacitance formula I derived myself somewhere in my
ancient tattered notes but I can't remember which of the A to S
volumes it is in.

I'm 3/4 ot the way down a bottle of French Red plonk. But Terman et
al should be be quite good enough for your purposes.

And its just the principle of the thing which matters. It's simple
enough. I don't suppose you will make use of a formula if and when
you find one.
----
Reg.