Old April 25th 06, 09:05 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Telamon

Default QUESTION - Does a "Non-Resonant" Dipole Antenna work better {Benefit} when a Receiver is RF Grounded in the Shack ? ? ?

In article .com,
"RHF" wrote:

FO&A - But their is another work around
'trick' answer - out there !

So I want to Rig my cut-to-order Dipole Antenna to use
for general across-the-bands Shortwave Listening.

First - Don't Think of It as a Dipole . . .

I prefer antennas for reception closer to the space impedance around it.
A ball park antenna type is a folded dipole. It can be made cheaply with
300 ohm twin lead transmission line and 4:1 BALUNs to connect it to 50
ohm coax is also cheap and common.

Another advantage is it is grounded so static charge pickup is shunted.

There is a trick to make it perform better on bands other than what it
is cut for using shorts at a specific distance from the ends depending
on the band for which it is cut.

You can use the dipole concept by using several cut for different bands
tied together at the antenna output. For this to work well the
paralleled elements need to have a relationship to each other that
prevents the energy picked up from one element flowing into another
element.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California