Old April 26th 06, 02:45 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
John Ferrell

Default Lightning protection

I think most of us choose to ignore risks that are beyond our
perceived control. We have some pretty violent storm activity in the
area I live (central North Carolina) but death and structure damage
seem to be rare. Most of the time the human body represents a higher
impedance path than its surroundings.

On the other hand, electronic property damage is common. It seems to
go with certain locations. I live in one of those locations and I have
taken all of the precautions I can think of over the winter months. We
have had a couple of storms in the past week without noticeable
damage. I am certain that the house took a hit on Saturday morning on
the new lightning rod system at the east end of the structure. It
sounded different than the usual damaging strike. It was more of a
drawn out event (half a second or so) than the damaging explosive
sound. I am speculating of course.

Last night a less threatening storm came through with no damage noted.
However I have two Labrador Retriever dogs, "Shadow" an 85 pound black
female that is especially smart, and "Bear" 130 pounds of white macho
male. Shadow always takes refuge in the bath tub and Bear gets as
close to me as he can for a storm. Last night I spent two hours on the
floor comforting Bear during the storm and wondering if the dogs might
simply be smarter than I!

I have had strikes in the past that resulted in "fireballs" bouncing
through the room. The dogs came by the fear as a result.

IMHO, the difference between bravery and stupidity is how you choose
to perceive it!

On a more positive note, I worked Italy, Spain, Wales and Poland on 20
meters yesterday afternoon with my new TenTec Jupiter transceiver. I
believe this little ridge is a very good radio location...

de W8CCW John
On Wed, 26 Apr 2006 11:50:05 +0100, "Reg Edwards"
wrote:

There is much correspondence on these walls about protecting equipment
and property from lightning strikes. But there is never anything said
about protecting people. Where are your concerns?

In this country, UK, I can't remember the last time I read in the
newspaper about anybody being killed by lightning. It is extremely
rare.

It doesn't appear to give US citizens much cause for concern. Are you
all very brave? Or have you just got used to it.

Just curious. What is the annual death rate due to lightning, per head
of population, in states like Florida? Do you keep statistics?

How does it compare with the death rate from being chewed to death by
alligators in Florida swamps? Or dying from rattlesnake bites in
Arizona? Does lightning make it to the newspapers?
----
Reg.

John Ferrell W8CCW